Wednesday, December 19, 2012

IFLK


Motherfucker of a situation
Will spare the details
Would have been fine until a sneaky love crept in between us
Hungrily greased us up and then semi-set
That sticky, oily, foul mess of a thing
Smothering us, chains that we are to each other

She got under my skin, this one
Infused me with a lack of fear of the world and of living
No one has ever done that
Nothing seemed undoable, I felt so strong with her

I tried to impress her whenever I could
Altruistically watered her plant in the office
Offered not-so-good IT support
Always animated, cheerful, yearning for her and that laugh

That awful, wonderful laugh.
I fear hearing it now
Or seeing the achingly graceful, confident, elegance
Of her form

Some people leave little trace
She was not one of those people
She cluttered me with presents of memories
So many songs, it seemed, were “ours”
Which she would sing so beautifully, so badly
I have never heard such an endearing terrible voice!
Once, she helped me buy a rug that now, mockingly,
Tickles the soles of my feet, pushes the memory into me
A stain on the couch
Hours of IM chats and text messages
And so many other things…all around me…
But it would be pointless to go on.

So it seems she is gone now
The right thing was done, I know it
It would not have been right to go on like this
She made the choice to stay with him.
It was right; I am one, they are four.
it was practical.
…but, strangely, I was not afraid had the choice been different.

I will return to my libertine ways
And alcohol, I gave you up for a week, to prove a point,
to win a date with her that will never happen.
That will not happen again
I will clutch at sparks of connectedness that catch my eye
as I wander on socially, stagnantly
Some sparks will die out quickly, some might not.
It will be…fun.

But I want her to know that this is not meant to be a sad or grieving poem
Moving on is really not that difficult, we are designed to forget, to bounce back
But that is not the point, is it?
Life should not be about recovering from injuries
Looking forward to healthier times.
That drama is tiresome.
If anything, I am angry with myself…for being clumsy.

The love chemicals in my brain will soon return to normal
(or as normal as they have ever been)
And she will become another memory
And we will forget the intensity, the sweet stickiness of what was between us
Forget the details, the moments, the glances, the gentle embraces,
the drinks and conversations, cuddling to Netflix on a hotel bed,
her soft skin, her gentle breathing, her perfect warmth
Yes, it was just sex a few times, right? No big deal. Nothing really. A randy single guy and a bored wife.
My mind will forgetfully distill her into a simple memory of just a banal office hook-up,
A humble affair that she wanted to add to her 2 kids, college education and house in the suburbs
A perfectly normal life with just the right dash of drama and pinch of regret.

…Who knows, I may see it as a bullet dodged
And you, ___, something that strengthened your marriage, perhaps?
A third child to assure him…or just a new job?
And then, sometime, you will de-friend me on Facebook, after in real life
the kipple of life will dissolve what little we ever were
You might sometimes honor me by looking back with regretful fondness on our times together
Maybe when you are some tempest of an older, bored or unhappy woman…
But just sometimes.


3pm 2/dec/12

No comments:

Post a Comment