Thursday, May 26, 2011

London weekend

Feeling sorry for myself

a weekend of excessive drinking in London

I reflect on life’s banalities.

My psychological hang-over

Worse than the pain in my gut, the ache in my limbs

Moving through society

Completely outside of it

No clear function…an appendics

An evolutionary cul de sac, no doubt

Hopefully

…though I doubt that word.

I wonder at the useless efficiency of London

The lazy bus, meandering down to Greenwich.

Having done this journey hundredths of times

- no rush, no rush -

Stops every 50 metres

Do people walk these days?

The underground, with its distinct lack of character

Just an efficient series of dark tunnels

Carrying rats, with expressionless faces

To their pointless events,

they are so eager to attend

“Those dying generations”

…but nowadays no one sings

To the country barn of Gatwick

I am herded into a low cost airline

Overtly overly-friendly staff

I drink wine from a plastic cup,

eat a hot panini hosted by a cryptic wrapper.

Every year I see a new wrapper on something

yet they never get easier to open.

But my book is enjoyable; Boyd’s “Any Human Heart”

A journey like mine

In a less, or more, efficient time

In a more or less similar voice

of lonely desperation

At what? Who knows. Who cares.

My brother phones and we chat.

He is of a more secure ilk

Does not answer his questions

Or question his answers

Does not listen to his doubts

Does not doubt, perhaps

I’d like that.

His heating is broken, he tells me

as he walks back to his empty, cold apartment

Devoid of his Fiancé for over a year now

having met a friend with a dying marriage

I think, In the end, it’s sadness that prevails the most.

Entropy of emotional life.

I open my bottle of red wine.

16.12.07

No comments:

Post a Comment