The car is broken.
I arrive and glance around
at all the cold metallic objects
and blow steam on my fingers,
it is cold today.
........................................
The car sits motionless,
a lifeless pile of debris
staring at me with pleading headlamps
waiting to be fixed
knowing it has let me down
........................................
I shiver a sigh and then
crawl under the car
the cold concrete
almost paralysing me.
I begin to work.
........................................
Under the car, I struggle
with cold, hard, bolts
‘till my fingers are numb
and I am nearly screaming
in pain and frustration
........................................
I find the problem, my prey,
and attack it like a starved animal
cold sweat spilling from my pores
does not evaporate
in the still air.
........................................
The problem is fixed…?
I get up and groan as
I stretch my neck and back,
I think to myself
I’ll be a cripple soon.
........................................
I sit into the car
and slide gently the key into ignition
I breathe deeply and turn the key…
Healthy again, the engine leaps to life.
She is ready to impress and restore confidence.
I smile.
It was well worth it
09.02.97
No comments:
Post a Comment