Thursday, May 26, 2011

My younger older brother

“who looks older,”

, my brother would ask

“me or my brother?”

“Your brother”, the plebs would say

Bastards, I’m 2 years younger.

Why do they think that?

Am I more reserved, less alive, uninteresting?

Do these things affect our perceived age?

He has weird complications in his gut

Festering syndromes optimised for aging

A dodgy knee too

He has crows feet around his eyes

And a face that has laughed the same way

many times, now leaving a path

that even Nivea For Men will not mask.

I don’t have these “gifts”

I stare in the mirror

But unlike Kinsella

I see no stark signs of my aging.

Must be the multivitamins,

or maybe my meagre 27 years,

though that was once old, to me.

Or, it could be denial

Mutated self-perception

A psyche that over years

Has thought of death

Has fought for life

Would fight to the death for an eternal life

Will always have this will.

Bless. Confused idiot.

Maybe that’s why they say I look older

- they see the enemy in my eyes.

17.12.07

No comments:

Post a Comment