Thursday, May 26, 2011

Snow

Must be coming down at least half an inch

A cigarette

I thought to myself

As I returned indoors

A partially melted snowman

Going home tomorrow

Can’t wait

HW will be there

And my family

Drinking white wine in the…snow

It will be good

I think I’m returning to

Those days…

God, some years can be so long

You can get lost in it, forget yourself

Lose the compass, forget the direction

Tedious homogeneity of isolated existence

Regressing me

Squeezing my heart

Friends here are great but

are only surrogates of that real connectedness

That rare safeness

I am so lucky to have

We are products of so much suffering

Elegant, adapted beings

Wonderfully shaped to our environment

(though sometimes not to ourselves)

So much suffering

And we, now, continue that agonizing journey

Celebrating all the while

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Fondness makes the absence longer”

Yes, the snow has finally come

Quite. Soft.

Settling down all around us

Cushioning against cold walls

Reflecting twinkling lights

Softening harsh sounds

I am beautiful,

I am not doomed.

20.Dec.10

No comments:

Post a Comment